Registering and setting up your profile in OverseerFM
A new way of accessing, storing and sharing farm information
OverseerFM software creates a new way of accessing, storing, and sharing farm information. The software places the farm account at the centre of the system, and the farm owner (or manager) decides who can have access to the farm account, creating a one stop shop for analysis.
This fact sheet explains some new terminology and describes how to register to use the software and how to set up organisations. This information is also available in the full user guide.
With a new system comes some new terms.
Every user that registers is placed into an organisation. A user can only belong to one organisation at a time but can move between organisations.
An organisation contains one or more users. This may be an actual organisation, a user group or it may hold an individual user. Every user registered within an organisation has access to all the farm accounts within that organisation.
Every organisation has an administrator, who sets up the organisation and can add or remove other users, and also add additional administrators.
Registering with OverseerFM
All users of OverseerFM will need to register, including previous users of the legacy OVERSEER Nutrient Budgets software. User registrations are set up to provide for both individual users and organisations with multiple users.
Note that farm account access is associated with an organisation, so if you move from one organisation to another, you will no longer have access to the farms in your first organisation, and will inherit access to the farms of the organisation you have moved to.
Registering your user profile
All you need to register for OverseerFM is your name, email address and password.
Overseer automatically creates an organisation for every user profile, which defaults to your user’s name. You can edit this name and invite other users to join your organisation (see ‘Setting up your organisation’ below).
If you have registered a user profile, and now want to be part of an organisation, you will need to arrange for the organisation administrator to send you an invitation.
What you will see when registering your user profile
- Navigate to https://fm.overseer.org.nz and select register. Enter your email, name and create a password. Read and agree to the terms and conditions.
- You will be shown the following screen. Check your inbox for an email with a link to activate your account. If you entered your email incorrectly select your name (at the top right of screen) and edit your email before clicking to resend the activation email. Please remember to check your junk mail folder if the verification email doesn’t arrive in your inbox.
- Once activated you will be shown your Dashboard. You can now create or search for an existing farm. See user guide for instructions.
Setting up your organisation
If there are many users within an organisation who access the same farm accounts, an administrator can set up an organisation and invite users to join. This applies to farm consultancy organisations, fertiliser consultancies, farming organisations (where they have multiple Overseer users) and councils.
Before registering your organisation, check with your colleagues that it has not already been registered in OverseerFM. If you are unsure, please contact the Helpdesk.
The person who sets up the organisation is the default organisation administrator and has the rights to add/remove other users, including additional administrators.
What you will see when you set up your organisation
- Once you have registered as an individual, select ‘My organisation’ in the top right hand menu.
- The default name for the organisation will be your user name. Select ‘Edit my organisation’ to change your organisation’s name.
Please note, if you have been invited to join an organisation but you are not an administrator of that organisation, the ‘Edit my organisation’ button will not be available to you.
- To invite other users to join your organisation select the ‘Invite user’ button and enter their email address in the pop-up screen. You can enter one email at a time. They will then be sent an email asking them to accept the invitation. If they are not yet registered users, their invitation will take them to the registration page, and then ask them to accept the invitation. The invited user will show as pending until they accept the invitation.
Moving between organisations
Users can only belong to one organisation at a time.
If a user wishes to move to a different organisation, the administrator of the organisation they are moving to sends them an invitation, and their acceptance of that invitation removes them from their previous organisation.
If they wish to leave without an invitation to another organisation, the organisation administrator will need to remove them using the “X” remove button. The user then becomes an individual organisation (default to their user name), and the user will have not access to any farm accounts (even if they set some up previously). They will need to either request access or set up new farm accounts.