We released an update to OverseerFM on 30 April 2023.
The update of the Overseer model to version 6.5.1 represents a complete update of the crop sub-model. This update aimed to resolve known issues with the crop model that were previously identified by users, Overseer Limited and those highlighted by the 2021 model review. This includes resolving the difficulty associated with acquiring and reviewing information required to incorporate crops into the Overseer model.
Please note that this update does not affect the pasture model, only crops.
Changes made to the software include:
- All current crops were reviewed and updated, with an additional 4 crops added to the model
- Field loss and (where appropriate) dressing loss are now accounted for in the model.
- No longer need to select a crop variant based on end use and/or time of planting (e.g., “oats summer” and “oats autumn” are now just “oats”).
- Resolved historical “prior land use” bug.
- Updated crop definitions and coefficients table, making it easier for Overseer to review current or incorporate new crops in the future.
- Known issue with fodder beet modelling has been resolved
- Review and removal of the “End N uptake” function (Why was the 'End N uptake' function removed?)
If you are one of the over 10, 000 farm accounts that use the Overseer crop model, your existing OverseerFM analysis results have likely changed.
The change in results will be appropriately caused by the improvement to the model, however some of the changes you see may be due to incorrectly estimated harvest/finish event dates or now redundant workarounds (fodder beet usage). Additionally, many users will now have farms showing an overfeeding error (5% of total).
To ensure the changes you see in your analyses are appropriate, please review your analyses and do the following:
- Review and update the harvest/final event dates on all your blocks.
- Where applicable and appropriate, reduce the amount (yield) of fodder to resolve over-feeding errors.
We understand that this update to the crop model and the resulting variations in results may be significant for some farm accounts. However, the model now more appropriately describes and estimates the impact of how crops are farmed.
The crops now available for modelling within OverseerFM are as follows:
* Crops marked in red denoted those added in Version 6.5.1
For more information, please see the release notes that are attached below.
N.B. Users should be aware that this update to the crop modelling means that uploads of data from the FAR Productionwise will likely produce errors. Overseer Limited are working with FAR and their software providers to resolve this issue.
Please do not hesitate to contact our helpdesk email@example.com if you need any help updating your farm or contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to know more about the science behind this update.