Once you have created a Farm Account in OverseerFM you can build an analyses of the farm to investigate the farms nutrient budgets and greenhouse gas emissions.
You should start by creating a Year-End analysis, which is a representation of the current farm system that can be used to assess any "what if" scenarios against to inform your farm plan.
This article describes the sequence by which you build a description of your farm in OverseerFM. Detailed guidance on each data input tab can be found in the "creating a farm analysis" section.
- In OverseerFM, the farm needs to be set up as management blocks before any management activities can be added. This is to allow blocks to be combined when applying fertiliser and irrigation and distributing feed. When setting up a farm from scratch, only the block tab will be visible until all the blocks have been defined. Blocks can be drawn using the drawing tools provided - in which case the drawing only needs to be representative of the block, not exact; or you can upload a digital farm map, and then use that to define your blocks
- Defining a block includes identifying the block management type (pasture, crop, tree etc), area, topography, climate, distance from coast and soils (up to three per block). You can find more guidance on setting up blocks in the How to add blocks? article.
- Once the blocks have been defined, climate data will automatically pull through from a NIWA climate dataset.
- Soils and soil tests can be added to each block under the Soils tab.
- Artificial drainage, grass filter strips and unfenced wetlands can be added to each block under the Drainage tab. Here you will also need to enter more information for Fenced Wetland and Riparian blocks if added when creating blocks.
- If you have pastoral or cut and carry blocks, add pasture details under the Pasture/crops tab. Be sure to select whether animals are present when adding pasture.
- If you have animals, add these next. Select the Animals tab and add each enterprise.
- If you have fruit and/or Crop blocks and rotating fodder crops, add these under the Pasture/crops tab. Be sure to identify any animals that are grazing these blocks.
- If you have created a dairy enterprise, open the structures tab to add a dairy effluent system for the farm. Add any additional structures that are on the farm.
- If the farm produces and/or imports supplements, open the supplements tab, setup the supplements and distribute them appropriately.
- You can now setup irrigation systems and fertilisers that were applied during the year.
- OverseerFM automatically generates GHG emission reports for the farm analysis based on the farm management information entered and using a series of default transport and fuel use based on national averages. If preferred, or required for certification you can use the GHG tab to override default values.
- Finally review the farm system and results under the Reports tab.